Friday 20 December 2013

What I've Been Reading!

Book Review!

As a part of my Christmas exam in English I have to read a novel that is on or has been on the leaving certificate book list. The novel I have chosen to read and review is 'Lies Of Silence' By Brian Moore.

The novel is set in the 1980's in Belfast at the height of the Northern Troubles. It has an interesting plot that has a very realistic portrayal of life in Belfast during the troubles. It is a thrilling tale that displayed how the troubles affected the lives of everyone.
                          The novel is about the married couple Moira and Michael Dillon who are dragged into the troubles without choice. This topic is very interesting as it is a story that relates to the lives of many people whose lives were torn apart due to the sectarian troubles in the north.
                          Michael is a hotel manager who is not very happy with how his life has turned out, in the novel he says that he is "a failed poet in a business suit". His unhappiness is due to the unhappy relationship he has with his wife, he is also having an affair with a much younger woman named Andrea. When one night he is taken under hostage and forced to involve himself in the northern troubles Michael Dillon's life is turned upside down. He is left with a decision that involves repercussions for everyone in Michael's life.
                          This novel is very interesting and explore many topical themes such as conflict, love and role of women. It gives an excellent insight into the past and how the lives of ordinary people were impacted by the Northern Troubles. I was really impressed by the author's style of writing, especially the author's use of flashback which gave me a good insight to Michael Dillon's past and his views of Belfast for example he describes it as "graffiti fouled barricaded slums where the city's Protestant and Catholic poor confronted each other year in and year out on a stasis of fear, hatred and mistrust". His use of dialogue also made the story line easy to follow and understand.
                          Overall I really enjoyed this novel for all the above reasons, I think that Brian Moore is a very talented writer and I found it deepened my understanding of the troubles.            
                           I would recommend this novel for anyone over the age of fifteen. I would recommend it for both males and females as it would appeal to everyone. In my opinion I think this novel should be awarded four out of five stars. I hope this review has encouraged you to read this novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment